2016/17 Eugene Symphony Guild
Young Artist Competition
The Eugene Symphony Guild Young Artist Competition is open to exceptional instrumentalists ages 14-18 for the junior division and 19-25 for the senior division, and currently residing in oregon. The first prize junior division winner will receive a $750 scholarship, and the first prize senior division winner will receive a $1500 scholarship and may be offered the opportunity to perform with the Eugene Symphony in Summer 2017.
Rules and Eligibility
1. Applicant must be 14-18 years old for the junior division and 19-25 years old for the senior division as of April 4, 2017, and currently reside in Oregon.
2. $25 entry fee must be in the form of money order or check made out to Eugene Symphony mailed to:
Young Artist Competition
Attn: Education Director
115 West 8th Ave, Suite 115
Eugene, OR 97401
3. Preliminary and final competition rounds will take place on Saturday, April 8, 2017 at the University of Oregon School of Music and Dance between the hours of 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm.
4. Applicants must prepare a movement from a concerto or single-movement work from the standard orchestral repertoire. Two copies of the soloist’s score are to be provided. Photocopies are permissible.
5. Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to play from memory.
6. All repertoire selections must have an orchestral accompaniment and must have parts readily available from the publisher.
7. Each applicant must provide his or her own accompanist. All pieces that include a piano reduction as an accompaniment part should be performed as such.
8. Participants will receive judges’ comments following the competition.
9. Every effort will be made to schedule an audition time which is suitable for each applicant’s schedule. The Eugene Symphony will make every effort to accommodate scheduling conflicts when possible, but make no guarantee that such conflicts can be avoided.
10. The first prize junior division winner will receive a $750 scholarship. The first prize senior division winner will receive a $1500 scholarship and may be offered the opportunity to perform with the Eugene Symphony in Summer 2017.
11. Previous winners of the Eugene Symphony’s Young Artist Competition are ineligible to compete.
For questions regarding the Young Artist Competition, please contact:
Education & Community Engagement Director
Eugene Symphony Association
2015/16 Young Artist Compeition Winners:
Senior Division: Nora Willauer, cello
Junior Division: Maia Hoffman, viola
Bartók Piano Concerto
Our third Music Director finalist, Francesco Lecce-Chong, takes the podium to conduct an exquisite evening of music including works by Mozart, R. Strauss, Liszt, and Bartok.
In February 2018, we present a special multimedia version of Vivaldi's The Four Seasons in collaboration with Travel Lane County and the McKenzie River Trust featuring public-submitted photos of the McKenzie River throughout the year.