2017/18 Eugene Symphony Guild
Young Artist Competition
The Eugene Symphony Guild Young Artist Competition is open to exceptional instrumentalists ages 14-18 for the junior division and 19-25 for the senior division, and currently residing in Oregon. The junior division prizes include $500 for 1st Place and $250 for 2nd Place, and the senior division prizes include $1,000 for 1st Place and $500 for 2nd Place. The winner of the junior or senior division may be offered the opportunity to perform with the Eugene Symphony for the Symphony in the Park summer concert. Winners of both divisions may be asked to perform at Eugene Symphony Guild and other community engagement events.
Rules and Eligibility
- Applicant must be 14-18 years old for the junior division and 19-25 years old for the senior division as of April 6, 2018, and currently reside in Oregon.
- Previous winners of the Eugene Symphony Guild’s Young Artist Competition are ineligible to compete.
- $40 registration fee must be in the form of money order or check made out to Eugene Symphony, postmarked by Friday, April 6, 2018 and mailed to:
Eugene Symphony Association
Young Artist Competition
Attn: Education Director
115 West 8th Ave, Suite 115
Eugene, OR 97401
- Preliminary and final competition rounds will take place on Sunday, April 15, 2018 at the University of Oregon School of Music and Dance between the hours of 9:00 am and 12:00 pm for the junior division and 12:00 pm and 4:00 pm for the senior division.
- Every effort will be made to schedule an audition time suitable for each applicant’s schedule. The Eugene Symphony will make every effort to accommodate scheduling conflicts when possible, but make no guarantee that such conflicts can be avoided.
Repertoire and Accompaniment
- Applicants must prepare a movement from a concerto or single-movement work from standard orchestral repertoire. Two copies of the soloist’s score are to be provided. Photocopies are permissible.
- Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to play from memory.
- All repertoire selections must have an orchestral accompaniment and must have parts readily available from the publisher.
- Each applicant must provide their own accompanist. All pieces including a piano reduction as an accompaniment part should be performed as such.
Prizes and Post-competition Information
- The junior division prizes include $500 for First Place and $250 for Second Place, and the senior division prizes include $1,000 for First Place and $500 for Second Place. The winner of the junior or senior division may be offered the opportunity to perform with the Eugene Symphony in Summer 2018.
- Participants will receive judges’ comments following the competition.
2017/18 Young Artist Competition Winners
1st Prize: David Lee, marimba
2nd Prize: Brynna Paros, flute
Honorable Mention: Jon Caponetto, bass trombone
1st Prize: Avery Hsieh, violin
2nd Prize: Adrian Hsieh, cello