Young Artist Competition
The Eugene Symphony Guild Young Artist Competition is open to exceptional instrumentalists ages 14-18 for the junior division and 19-25 for the senior division, and currently residing in Oregon. The junior division prizes total $750, and the senior division prizes total $1500. The winner of the junior or senior division may be offered the opportunity to perform with the Eugene Symphony for the Symphony in the Park summer concert. Winners of both divisions may be asked to perform at Eugene Symphony Guild and other community engagement events.
2017 Rules and eligibility
- Applicant must be 14-18 years old for the junior division and 19-25 years old for the senior division as of April 4, 2017, and currently reside in Oregon.
- $25 entry fee must be in the form of money order or check made out to Eugene Symphony mailed to: Eugene Symphony Young Artist Competition Attn: Education Director 115 West 8th Ave, Suite 115 Eugene, OR 97401
- Preliminary and final competition rounds will take place on Saturday, April 8, 2017 at the University of Oregon School of Music and Dance between the hours of 2:00 pm and 5:00 pm.
- Applicants must prepare a movement from a concerto or single-movement work from the standard orchestral repertoire. Two copies of the soloist’s score are to be provided. Photocopies are permissible.
- Applicants are encouraged, but not required, to play from memory.
- All repertoire selections must have an orchestral accompaniment and must have parts readily available from the publisher.
- Each applicant must provide his or her own accompanist. All pieces that include a piano reduction as an accompaniment part should be performed as such.
- Participants will receive judges’ comments following the competition.
- Every effort will be made to schedule an audition time which is suitable for each applicant’s schedule. The Eugene Symphony will make every effort to accommodate scheduling conflicts when possible, but make no guarantee that such conflicts can be avoided.
- The Junior division prizes total $750, and the Senior division prizes total $1500. The winner of the junior or senior division may be offered the opportunity to perform with the Eugene Symphony in Summer 2017.
- Previous winners of the Eugene Symphony’s Young Artist Competition are ineligible to compete.
2016/17 Young Artist Competition Winners
1st place: Chas Barnard, cello
2nd place: Bailey Schmidt, trombone
Honorable Mention: Jonathan Hart, alto saxophone
1st place: Aveek Ganguly, piano
2nd place: Karlie Roberts, viola
Honorable Mention: Travis Scharer, cello