Link Up: The Orchestra Sings
Registration is currently OPEN for 2021/22 Link Up: The Orchestra Sings, an elementary music program provided through Carnegie Hall's Weill Music Institute.
Eugene Symphony invites public, private, and home schools to participate! Link Up provides a free, high-quality, year-long curriculum that teachers can implement, along with classroom materials, online video and audio resources, and the professional development and support necessary to make the program an engaging experience for students.
Link Up: The Orchestra Sings introduces students to melody, one of the universal elements of music. Composers and musicians create melodies, which can be sung or played on instruments. The orchestra sings when its musicians play melodies on their instruments. Through the Link Up repertoire, hands-on activities, and a culminating interactive performance with a professional orchestra, we will discover how the orchestra sings.
The Link Up program culminates with a one-of-a-kind interactive youth concert, where students sing and play recorder from their seats. Due to many unknown factors at this time, participating schools are not required to attend a culminating youth concert this year.
Learn more about The Orchestra Sings, HERE.
Please contact Education & Community Engagement Director Katy Vizdal at email@example.com or call 541-687-9487 x1116 if you have questions about Link Up.
Link Up Program Details
Your school receives:
• Link Up curriculum resources for each teacher (featuring repertoire for singing, playing the soprano recorder or violin, and program-related lesson plans and activities) with accompanying audio and video resources
• Link Up resources for students
• Professional development resources and webinar for lead teachers and administrators
• Access to Carnegie Hall’s online resources, including additional lessons and interactive classroom resources
• Access to Carnegie Hall’s Link Up Facebook group, which connects teachers, Carnegie Hall staff, and featured contributors to share ideas, student work, videos, and photos
Participating teachers are required to:
• Register by Wednesday, October 13, 2021.
• Attend a Professional Development Workshop:
- Thursday, October 14; 4:30-6:00pm (NEW TO PROGRAM)
- Friday, October 15; 4:30-6:00pm (EXISTING PARTNERS)
All PD workshops will be held in-person. Additional detail will be e-mailed to you when you register for the program.
• Provide recorders for students to participate in the curriculum. We suggest purchasing recorders through www.peripole.com. A promotional code will be provided to participants at the beginning of the year.
• Implement the Link Up curriculum in the classroom and prepare students for success in the concert (if applicable).
• Be responsive via e-mail and phone and keep Eugene Symphony staff apprised of program implementation.
• If a Youth Concert is possible this year, teachers who choose to attend (optional) are responsible for providing transportation to and from one of The Orchestra Sings Youth Concerts at the Hult Center for the Performing Arts (March 15, 2022) and must provide payment for all concert attendees ($5/student and chaperones).