Link Up: The Orchestra Rocks
Registration is currently closed for 2018/19 Link Up: The Orchestra Rocks, an elementary music program provided through Carnegie Hall's Weill Music Institute.
Through this flexible curriculum, "ROCKS" introduces students to rhythm, pulse, and groove as listeners, composers, and performers! Teachers administer the curriculum throughout the schoolyear. The program culminates with a one-of-a-kind youth concert with the Eugene Symphony on March 19, 2019, where students will sing and play recorder from their seats! Learn more about The Orchestra Rocks here.
Support for this program is generously provided by US Bank.
Deadline to Apply was October 10, 2018
Link Up Program Details
Link Up: A Program of the Weill Music Institute at Carnegie Hall
The Eugene Symphony invites public, private, and homeschools within Lane, Linn, Benton, and Douglas counties (and beyond) to participate in Link Up and our culminating youth concert, The Orchestra Rocks, on Tuesday, March 19, 2019 at the Hult Center for the Performing Arts.
Link Up, a program of Carnegie Hall’s Weill Music Institute, pairs orchestras across the country with students in elementary schools in their local communities to explore orchestral repertoire through a hands-on music curriculum. Students participating in Link Up attend a culminating concert where they sing and play recorder or violin with the orchestra from their seats.
Your school receives at no cost:
- A Link Up Professional Development Workshop
- Link Up: The Orchestra Rocks Teacher Guide, Students workbooks, and online teaching resources.
- Access to a downloadable Link Up resources: Beginnings Teacher Guide, Student Guide, and online accompanying audio provided via the Carnegie Hall's Link Up digital library.
- Ongoing individual support.
Participating teachers are required to:
- Register by Wednesday, October 10th.
- Attend a Professional Development Workshop:
- Thursday, October 11; 3:00-5:00 pm
- Friday, October 12; 10:00 am–12:00 pm
- Saturday, October 13; 1:00–3:00 pm
(All PD workshops are held at the Eugene Symphony office – 115 West 8th Avenue, Suite 115 in Eugene.)
- Provide recorders for students to participate in the curriculum. We suggest purchasing recorders through www.peripole.com. Enter promotional code "Linkup18" for a discount during checkout.
- Implement the Link Up curriculum in the classroom and prepare students for success in the concert.
- Attend and provide transportation to and from one of The Orchestra Rocks Youth Concerts at the Hult Center for the Performing Arts:
- Tuesday, March 19, 2019; 10:30–11:20 am
- Tuesday, March 19, 2019; 12:30–1:20 pm
- Be responsive via e-mail and phone and keep Eugene Symphony staff apprised of program implementation.
- Make payment by Friday, March 22, 2019. Please note: one chaperone per fifteen students will be admitted into the youth concert for free. Additional chaperones may attend for $5 per person. Checks may be made out to the "Eugene Symphony Association". Please indicate “Link Up” in the memo line.
- Youth Concert payments may be sent to:
Eugene Symphony Association
Attn: Education Department
115 West 8th Avenue, Suite 115
Eugene, OR 97401
Ph: (541) 687-9487 x1116
Need assistance funding Link Up?
Check out our grants page here.